Thursday, January 28, 2010

Phir Mile Sur...exclusively miserable!

I finally managed to catch the entire video of 2010's "Mile Sur Mera Tumhara" variant. I have been trying to lay my eyes on it since the spoilers for the song started being telecast on Zoom TV a couple of weeks ago. Although at home, I missed seeing it on 26th January.

As what usually happens with most over-hyped products, this one was a let down too. While I was enthralled by the first version every time I watched it on TV, the current adaptation was akin to too much fizz in a cola i.e. more fizz less cola. While visually appealing (not surprising considering technology has come a long way from 1988), it comes nowhere close to being good on the ears. One more aspect of the song that is very much in your face is the presence of far too many Hindi Film artists. While I do like Hindi cinema as a form of entertainment, I do not really appreciate promoting actors as some form of new age messiahs. Their contribution towards the betterment of our nation is close to zilch. If they are associated with charities, it is most probably because they are availing tax redemption through them. The only highlight of the video is the Armed Forces graduation slot. That piece was very well made indeed.

I am sure there are many people out there whose perception will vary, but my final say on it – While the song released in 1988 will always be the original, the one released in 2010 will only be a re-recorded rendering!

1 comment:

  1. Everyone's talking about it, but I haven't seen it yet!

    The original, even when we used to watch it often on TV earlier, grabbed my attention each time. Now when I watch it once in a while (downloaded from youtube) doesn't fail to give me goose bumps.

    ReplyDelete

Blah Back